Saturday 20 July 2013

5 Questions with Ttotaler

What is it about tea that let you in to the world that is known as Ttotaler

I have always had a love affair with tea and believed there was a need in Sydney market for locally blended, good quality loose-leaf tea. 


Since I can remember I have had a passion for experimenting with different flavours of food and drink.  Tea and herbal blends are so good for you and have been used for centuries as a cure for many illnesses.


When I blend tea I think of the balance between taste, smell and benefits, and how to marry them to create a refreshing yet beneficial drink.  I have travelled to over 30 different countries in pursuit of that perfect cup which has led into the world of tea alchemy.

I have lately been running some tea appreciation and blending work shops to educate and talk about all things tea with people who feel the same way about tea as I do.

We are always suckers for branding and we love yours.  How long did it take to come to a decision about a) the name  b) the branding and c) the overall presentation of our product and stall

Owning my own tea company has always been a dream of mine so it didn't take long once I started.


The name came up when I was chatting with friends one night.  It comes from the word Teetotaler: someone who abstains alcohol and drinks other beverages instead.  During that particular time period tea houses popped up and became the new watering hole to drink and chat.

The industrial pharmaceutical look and feel came about as that is the design aesthetic I love.  I'm always thinking of how to re-use old things as it is part of our history and should not end up in landfill.


On our stall we have vintage slide containers as display boxes for our tea, we use recycled wood to make our signage and have wooden ironing boards as tables.


Our amber glass pharmaceutical jars we package our tea in make the tea feel that little bit more special.

A firm fave at Marrickville Market, what is it about this particular market that makes it stand out from others

I've always loved Marrickville Markets having lived in Newtown for years.  the Ttotaler warehouse is just off Addison Road so Marrickville Markets is our local grocery stall.  


I was brought up on going to the markets every week with my parents as they and I believe that we need to support our local business and the quality is a lot better.

Where do you source your product and how long does it take from picking to drying to bottling to market

I source my product from all over the world then blend the tea and/or herbs together to make different and unique combinations.  We have other 30 blends.


I have actually spent the last three months researching in to finding herbs that are grown organically and locally within Australia.

It was surprisingly tough to find as everything is now grown offshore as wages are cheaper.  I am happy and proud to say that we now have 10 new 100% Australian grown teas/herbal blends.

Having locally produced tea reduces our company's footprint and keeps job in Australia.

If you were to describe the world of tea, moreover the world of Ttotaler in 5 words what would they be

Refreshing
Local
Quality
Loose Leaf
Love

**********
Massive thank you to the queen of Tea and we love her desire to keep it real and local.


No comments:

Post a Comment